This triple Nutella mousse cake features a rich Nutella brownie base topped with a layer of luscious Nutella mousse filling and a layer of soft Nutella ganache.
Over the years I’ve created some pretty amazing desserts and today’s recipe is no exception. The cake you see here is the love child of my Nutella cheesecake, strawberry mousse cake, and triple chocolate mousse cake.
Valentine’s Day is just a few weeks away and I knew we needed to celebrate with something special. This TRIPLE Nutella mousse cake is just that.
It sounds like it would be overly sweet but trust me, it’s not.
The base is my Nutella brownie recipe. You guys love that one! I used a little less sugar so the brownie isn’t quite as sweet but still just as decadent and amazing.
The brownie base is topped with a lush mousse made with Nutella, cream, and gelatin. I also added a pinch of salt to help balance the sweetness.
The cake is then topped with a super soft Nutella ganache. It’s soft even after being refrigerated!
You are going to really like this one, I promise!
The printable recipe card with full ingredient amounts and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
How to make triple Nutella mousse cake?
Begin by making the brownie layer. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with foil so the cake is easy to lift off the base of the pan. You could also use parchment paper but I worry about batter leaking from the bottom seal.
Spray the foil and sides of the pan with non-stick spray and press a strip of parchment paper around the inner ring. The nonstick spray will help the parchment paper stay in place.
Prepare the brownie batter then spread it evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake it for 25-30 minutes. Times may vary depending on your oven. Test the brownie with a toothpick and remove it once you get just a few moist crumbs attached to the toothpick.
Cool the brownie completely by letting sit at room temperature for an hour or refrigerate it for about 20 minutes.
Once the brownie base is completely cool, you can make the mousse layer and spread it over the brownie layer. Refrigerate the mousse layered brownie for at least 2 hours.
After the mousse layer has set, make the ganache topping and spread it evenly over the top. Return the cake to the refrigerator and chill for about 1 hour to allow the ganache to set.
Remove the sides of the pan and carefully pull the parchment paper off the sides of the cake. Transfer the cake to a serving platter and enjoy!
Do I have to use gelatin for Nutella mousse?
For the cake to hold its shape, you must use the gelatin. It keeps the mousse layer sturdy and prevents it from “melting” off the brownie layer.
Can I make Nutella mousse cake with boxed brownies?
You certainly can! Just prepare the batter as directed and bake it in a 9-inch springform pan.
Tips for making Nutella mousse cake
- When you make the mousse filling you’ll need to let the warm Nutella and gelatin cool before adding the whipped cream. During the cooling process, it is VERY important that you stir the Nutella mixture frequently. If you fail to do this you may end up with tiny little gelatin balls throughout the mousse.
- You can underbake the brownie base slightly if you want a fudgy texture!
- When you go to serve the cake, slice it while it’s cold then let the slices come to room temperature for the best texture.
More Nutella recipes you’ll love
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake
- Chocolate Nutella Cookie Bars
- Homemade Nutella (Chocolate Hazelnut Spread)
- Nutella Frosting
- Banana Nutella Cupcakes
- Coffee Nutella Ice Cream with Nutella Brownie Bits (No Churn)
- Double Chocolate Chip Nutella Cookies
- Nutella Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls