Rich and luscious Nutella Frosting will have you swooning! A basic buttercream with the addition of Nutella will complement all your favorite cakes. The recipe is so simple too and incredibly addictive.
I have a slow growing archive of frosting happening here! That’s not a bad thing though. There’s always room for more frosting.
Several months ago I decided to focus on testing and shooting some of my favorite frostings used on various cakes and cupcakes throughout my site then add them to their very own category.
This makes it much easier to find a great frosting when you’re looking for the perfect one to pair with that cake you just made.
I share this Nutella Frosting recipe a couple years ago on top of banana cupcakes. I suggest you print the recipe for banana Nutella cupcakes right now and get to baking. You won’t regret it!
The frosting is incredibly luscious. It’s full of chocolate hazelnut flavor and so silky smooth.
You only need four ingredients for today’s frosting – butter, Nutella, confectioners’ sugar, and a dash of salt. A little salt helps tone down the sweetness of the frosting. It’s magical.
How to make Nutella Frosting
For this recipe to work properly, you’ll need to start with super soft butter. Typical I suggest letting it sit a room temperature for half an hour or so but today we’re letting it soften for at least an hour. An hour and a half is best!
Super soft butter will meld easier with the thick chocolate hazelnut spread. I also recommend beating the two together for at least two minutes. It should look silky smooth and shiny.
Once the butter and Nutella are well combined it’s time to add the salt and confectioners’ sugar. I like to add one cup of sugar at a time and mix it until it’s no longer powdery after each addition.
After adding the last bit of confectioners’ sugar turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and let it whip for two minutes. The frosting should become creamy and fluffy.
This consistency of the frosting is perfect for piping. It holds its shape nicely. Or it can also be spread over cakes with an offset spatula. Either way, this frosting won’t disappoint.
More frosting recipes you’ll love
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (210 grams) Nutella, or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-4 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons (3 tablespoons) heavy cream
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or with an electric hand mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Add the Nutella and salt. Continue to beat until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar, beat on medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar until the frosting is the desired texture, beating on medium-low speed until the sugar is moistened. You may need more or less sugar depending on how you plan to use the frosting.
- Add the heavy cream and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Make ahead tip
- Frosting will keep for up to 4 days stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Let stand at room temperature to soften before use.
- Or it can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to use, place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Let stand at room temperature to soften before use.