This Best EVER Banana Bread recipe is the only one you will ever need! It’s easy, flavorful, and will quickly become your new favorite.
Best Ever Banana Bread Recipe
This is honestly the best banana bread recipe ever! It’s basically my easy banana bread but with brown butter, buttermilk, and roasted bananas to give the bread the ultimate flavor and texture. Just take a look at the reviews and photos from people who have made it on Pinterest.
Brown butter adds to the nutty sweet flavor while yielding a melt in your mouth texture. Buttermilk adds extra moisture to ensure the bread stays soft and tender.
It can easily be enjoyed in place of dessert or for breakfast. It also makes a great snack between meals.
This best banana bread recipe is so moist and absolutely the most delicious bread you will ever taste. Why is this banana bread is so incredible?
To begin with, it contains 4 large bananas. As if that isn’t enough to make the bread flavorful, I went and roasted them.
That made the bread more flavorful and naturally sweet!
It’s similar to my Roasted Yogurt Banana Bread but way better. And much less healthy…
I used all brown sugar for a moist and sweet richness. Brown sugar will do wonders for quick bread, cakes, and cookies. I use it almost everything I bake.
To add to the already wonderfully rich flavor, I added brown butter. I’ve done this before with banana cupcakes and easy banana cake and let me tell you, brown butter and bananas are fantastic together.
Buttermilk in Best Ever Banana Bread
As if this banana bread could get any moister, I chose to incorporate buttermilk.
I love buttermilk in baked goods, especially in my cheddar jalapeno buttermilk bread. It adds a soft, tender texture that just melts in your mouth.
I added some chopped walnuts which are completely optional. I’m a huge fan of contrasts in texture and loved the soft crunch in each bite of bread.
This recipe has taken a classic banana bread and vamped it up to make it even more delightful. After one bite, I’m certain you will agree that it is indeed a tasty buttermilk banana bread recipe.
The printable recipe card with full ingredient amounts and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
How to make the best Ever banana bread?
Step 1: Roast the bananas and brown the butter
Roasting the bananas enhances their sweetness and flavor. That paired with browned butter make the ultimate banana bread.
Step 2: Mix the batter
Follow the usual technique for making quick bread – mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, then combine the two.
Step 3: Bake the bread
Bake the bread in a light colored loaf pan for best results. Dark pans and glass pans retain heat too well and will cause the bread to come out too dark or possibly burn before the inside had finished cooking.
Common questions about Best Ever Banana Bread
Why are cup measurements not given for the bananas?
This recipe calls for roasting the bananas in their skin. You would not be able to measure out x cup amount before roasting. Choose the largest bananas you see in the market and you will have success with the recipe.
What can I use besides buttermilk?
You can replace the buttermilk in this recipe with plain yogurt or sour cream. Greek yogurt works best.
Can I use frozen bananas to make this bread?
While I’ve not done this myself, a reader has. She placed the frozen bananas directly in the oven to roast. She didn’t thaw them and the recipe came out perfect.
More bread recipes you’ll love
Best Ever Banana Bread
- 4 large very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (158 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (57 grams) chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Leave bananas in the peel and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- While the bananas are roasting, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes, until browned. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Scrape the bananas out of the peel into a blender and pulse until pureed. You should have about 2 cups of puree. Pour the pureed bananas into the butter mixture and beat until well combined. Add the buttermilk and mix well. The mixture may look curdled. This is normal.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Add to banana mixture and mix just until the flour is incorporated, taking care not to overwork the batter. Stir in the walnuts if using.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 45 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few dry crumbs.
- Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.
Make ahead tip
- The bread will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Baked and cooled bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.