These Vanilla Cardamom Scones are so light and tender. They are bursting with vanilla flavor while hints cardamom lingers in the background.
Serve these scones for breakfast with a warm cup of coffee or for brunch with a hot cup of tea and cardamom cookies. Treat yourself to a fabulous breakfast scone!
Vanilla Cardamom Scones
Today’s scones are made without egg! They are made moist and light with the help of buttermilk and butter.
Flavored with vanilla and cardamom, the scones are great alongside a cup of coffee or served with hot tea.
I’m certain you will love the texture of this recipe. It is so versatile and you can flavor the scones any way you like.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
These scones are amazing, you guys! They are probably some of the best scones that I’ve ever made. The texture and flavor were pure perfection.
There are a few scone recipes on the blog. And up until now, I’ve always used an egg in my scones. I thought the egg yielded a moist and tender scone. Boy, was I ever wrong!
The key to a light scone is to omit the egg, you don’t need it, and use a whole lot of butter. The butter will melt as the scones bake, making little steamy air pockets, which result in a light and tender texture.
I also used buttermilk in this recipe. And oh boy! It only added to the tender, moist, buttery perfection.
I just can’t contain myself. I am so pleased with how the scones turned out!!
I hope you make this recipe and enjoy it just as much as I did. It’s so easy and you can whip them up in a snap!
Vanilla Cardamom Scones
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Adjust the rack to the middle position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Stir with a whisk to combine. Using a pastry cutter, fork, or two knives, blend the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the vanilla and buttermilk together, then add it to the flour mixture. Stir just until the dough comes together, taking care no to over mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it gently about 5 times. Shape the dough into a 7-inch round disk. Cut the dough into 8 equal sized wedges. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with heavy cream ad sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.