These Baked Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Frosting will take you back to your childhood when things were simpler. They are a reminder of just how tasty breakfast can be. This chocolate donut recipe will give you the best baked donuts you’ve ever had. The recipe walks you through how to make donuts from scratch that are perfectly soft, chocolaty, and not overly sweet. These donuts are great for breakfast, brunch or snack any time of day!
I am fully convinced that the only way to enjoy a chocolate donut is with peanut butter frosting.
It’s an obvious conclusion.
These chocolate donuts are perfectly balanced, lightly sweet, and decadent without being overly rich. The peanut butter frosting over the top makes them absolutely perfect all around.
It’s a challenge to eat just one, so consider this your warning.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
This breakfast treat is so easy! It takes just a few minutes to put together and 10 minutes to bake. Overall, it will take you about 30 minutes to make the donuts.
First, you need to whip up the decadent chocolate donut batter. That requires mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another then combining the two. Two bowls and a whisk. Those are the only tools necessary for this recipe.
I used buttermilk and melted butter for an extra rich and tender donut. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use sour cream or make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to 3/4 cup of regular whole milk.
I turned to cocoa powder for an intense chocolate flavor. And naturally, chocolate isn’t complete without its partner in crime – peanut butter.
A thick creamy frosting made with peanut butter, butter, confectioners’ sugar, and heavy cream is slathered over the top of each donut. This is the ultimate flavor combination.
Fluffy baked chocolate donuts in a few short steps
- Mix the dry ingredients
- Mix the wet ingredients
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Transfer to a donut pan and bake
- Top with creamy peanut butter frosting
Love baked donuts as much as I do? Check out this recipe for Strawberry Cake Donuts!
Baked Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Frosting
For the donuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease 2 donut pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Whisk until well combined. Add to flour mixture and mix just until moistened. Be careful not to over mix. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour mixture into a large zip-top bag and cut the corner off. Pipe the mixture into the prepared pans, filling each donut mold 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the donuts spring back when touched. Allow the donuts to cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Make the frosting
- Place the butter and peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir vigorously to combine. Stir the sugar into the peanut butter mixture. Gradually stir in the cream one tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each addition, until the frosting is smooth. The frosting will be thick. Dip the tops of each donut into the frosting. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the frosting if needed.
- Donuts are best served immediately.
Make ahead tip
- Store frosted donuts in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
The donuts can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.