These homemade chocolate chip muffins are so easy to whip together for busy families. No mixer required!
This recipe, adapted from my basic muffin recipe, uses Greek yogurt and oil instead of butter and milk.
You’ll notice the tangy, yet lush richness of the yogurt. The oil also adds a delicate texture to the muffins.
A secret ingredient creates the magic touch in these easy chocolate chip muffins.
I like to use LorAnn’s Buttery Sweet Dough baking and flavoring emulsion in this recipe.
It adds the perfect creamy buttery richness along with a soft hint of citrus and vanilla.
Why this recipe works
- Oil gives the muffins a delicate texture and keeps them moist.
- Greek yogurt adds richness and offers a bit of tang.
- My secret ingredient adds “bake-shop” flavor to the muffin batter, making this the best chocolate chip muffin recipe.
This chocolate chip muffin recipe with oil is sure to be a hit with your family! They are so easy to make and even easier to eat.
What you need
My secret ingredient makes all the difference with its “bakery shop” flavor. Let’s discuss just a few of the key ingredients:
This is a short overview of the ingredients I used and why I chose them. The full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post!
- Dry ingredients: The all-purpose flour creates structure in the muffins, while baking powder acts as the leavening agent. Salt prevents them from being too sweet.
- Wet ingredients: Eggs act like glue, while sugar adds sweetness. Flavorless oil works best. I prefer whole milk yogurt for this recipe.
- Flavoring: Vanilla adds a woody, sweet flavor. The secret ingredient, LorAnn’s Buttery Sweet Dough emulsion, can be found on Amazon.
- Chocolate chips: While I prefer semisweet chocolate chips, bittersweet or mini chocolate chips will work in this recipe, too.
This is a list of tools I used to make the recipe. Some of the links are affiliate links.
- Muffin pan: A 12-cup muffin pan is perfect for this recipe.
- Whisk: This tool takes the place of a mixer.
- Silicone spatula: You’ll need this to mix the batter and fold in the chocolate chips.
How to make chocolate chip muffins
1. Mix the muffin batter
You’ll start by whisking the dry and wet ingredients separately. Then, you’ll combine to make the batter.
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Then, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for about a minute.
- Then, whisk in oil. Next, add in the yogurt, vanilla extract, and sweet dough emulsion.
- Then, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Finally, stir with a silicone spatula.
2. Add the chocolate chips
The highlight of chocolate chip muffins is mixing in the chocolate chips.
- Place the chocolate chips in the batter.
- Then, fold into the batter, but do not overmix.
3. Portion and Bake
Divide the batter evenly. Then, bake for 25-30 minutes. Or, use the toothpick test to confirm doneness.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups.
- Then, sprinkle coarse sugar on the muffin tops.
- Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- Then, cool the golden brown muffins for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Finally, transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Jen’s Best tips
- Add some spice! Incorporate 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the dry ingredients.
- You could also add in ½ cup of finely chopped nuts. Walnuts, pecans or almonds will work.
- Since this recipe does not require a mixer, you’ll need to whisk vigorously the wet ingredients.
- Avoid overmixing the batter once dry ingredients are added. While a few spots of flour are OK, there should not be large pockets.
Storing & Freezing
To store: After muffins are cool, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for no more than 3 days.
You may also refrigerate them for no more than a week.
To Freeze: This chocolate chip muffins recipe may be frozen for no longer than 3 months.
These are great for making ahead of time because you can easily thaw a muffin at a time overnight in your fridge.
More muffin recipes you might like
Muffins are the perfect breakfast treat. Take a look at some of my favorites.