Chocolate Chai Cream Pie is made for chocolate and chai lovers. A thick layer of chocolate pudding laced with chai rests on a buttery, flaky crust and is topped with homemade whipped cream. Each bite is positively delicious. I’m sure you will agree that this is one of the tastiest chocolate cream pie recipes.
Updated from the recipe archives, first published in 2014.
My younger self loved and craved chocolate. I would have something chocolate at least once every day. Whether it be a cup of chocolate pudding, a double chocolate brownie, or several thin mints. I was loyal and true to the chocolate.
Today, not so much. I am more partial to fruity sweets. Anything with chunks of fruity goodness. I am not at all picky with fruit either. I love all of it!
But this pie you guys! I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It is nothing more than chocolate pudding infused with chai. One amazing flavor combination!
It almost didn’t make into the pie because I wanted to sit in a corner all by myself and inhale it. But, I refrained from indulging and spread the glorious filling over the pie crust.
The pie is very simple. The only baking required is the baking of the pie crust. I don’t use fancy weights when I blind bake. I simply prick the bottom of the crust before it goes into the oven, line it parchment paper, and fill it with dried beans. It works perfectly.
Make the filling then pour it into the cooked and cooled pie crust.
I used black chai tea bags and steeped them in warm milk for several minutes. Once the milk is heavily concentrated with the chai flavor, add chopped semisweet chocolate and stir until it’s melted. Stir in the sugar and salt.
Temper the egg yolks with the warm chocolate mixture then return it to the pot. Whisk in the cornstarch and cook over medium heat until it’s thickened. Stir in a little butter then it’s ready to go into the pie crust.
Now, comes the hard part. The pie must be chilled for at least an hour so that the pudding will set up. I know it seems like a long time but trust me, it is so worth the wait.
Once the filling has set, slather some homemade whipped cream over the top and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Enter into chocolate chai cream pie heaven. You are welcome!
Chocolate Chai Cream Pie
For the crust
- 1 recipe homemade pie crust, single pastry
For the filling
- 3 cups milk
- 3 black chai tea bags
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups homemade whipped cream, or you can use store-bought
- ground cinnamon, for garnish
Make the crust
- Prepare the homemade pie crust according to the recipe instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll the pie crust to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Place in pie dish; trim off any excess along the edges. Flute the edges with fingertips. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the filling
- Warm the milk over medium heat until it reaches 180ºF degrees. Add the tea bags to the milk and let steep for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bags.
- Add the chocolate to the warm milk mixture, stir until mostly melted. Stir in the sugar and salt. Slowly add 1 cup of the warm milk mixture to the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Slow pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture, stir continuously. Add in the cornstarch, whisk until smooth.
- Heat mixture over medium heat, stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in the butter.
- Immediately pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover the filling with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap is touching the filling to prevent a skin filming. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Spread the whipped cream over the filling. Dust lightly with cinnamon.