This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This easy mug brownie recipe makes a single serving and takes just under 7 minutes to make. Top it with ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or fresh berries!
I have a genuine affection for small-batch desserts, and it’s no surprise that my Vanilla Mug Cake, Chocolate Mug Cake, and Nutella Mug Cake have become some of the most sought-after recipes in my repertoire. There’s a certain charm to creating delectable treats in limited quantities. You see, I frequently find myself yearning for a touch of sweetness, but I’m not inclined to embark on a culinary journey that yields an abundance of servings. (Let’s just say that self-control is not my strong suit.)
Whenever I find myself craving an instant dose of indulgence—something rich, fudgy, and oh-so-comforting—I reach for this heavenly Brownie in a Mug recipe. Believe me when I say, it’s ridiculously easy and grants me the pleasure of savoring a warm, gooey brownie within minutes. Yes, you read that right, it takes LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. Can you feel the excitement building? Gah!
Perfecting this recipe was no small feat, let me tell you. Countless variations of Brownie in a Mug recipes populate the vast expanse of the internet, yet none of them ticked all my boxes. I yearned for a brownie that was not only irresistibly fudgy and tender but also bursting with an intense chocolatey essence.
And to top it off, I wanted the entire process contained within a single, trusty mug. No desire to create a pile of dirty dishes for the sake of a single-serving brownie. I am overjoyed to share that my persistence paid off! Brace yourself, because here’s what I concocted…
- TASTE: Rich and chocolatey
- TEXTURE: Dense and chewy
- EASE: Easy!
- TIME: Under 10 minutes.
What You’ll Need
The ingredients called for in this recipe are the same as in any basic brownie recipe, but just in much smaller quantities!
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour is called for though you can use gluten-free flour.
- Sugar – White granulated sugar.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – This is found in the baking aisle, NOT the hot chocolate aisle!
- Salt – Just a little more than a dash to balance the flavors.
- Vegetable oil – Or other neutral oil of your choice, to make it moist and add texture.
- Milk – Any type of milk – is completely up to you.
- Vanilla extract – Use a high-quality pure vanilla, not the imitation stuff.
- Chocolate chips – For extra chocolate creaminess, plus more for topping
- Garnish – Ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or berries.
- Mug – Your favorite one is just fine.
- Fork or whisk – To stir.
How to Make Brownie in a Mug
This easy single serve brownie recipe is made by mixing the ingredients together in a mug, and then microwaving it. Couldn’t be easier!
- Mix Dry Ingredients. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a 12-16 ounce mug. Stir with a small whisk or fork.
- Add wet ingredients. Stir in the oil, milk, and vanilla until well combined. Gently stir in the chocolate chips. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips over the top.
- Microwave. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Let the brownie stand for 2 minutes.
- Enjoy. Top with ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or berries, and enjoy
When it comes to baking petite portions or delightful single-serving recipes, precision in ingredient measurement is of utmost significance. I must mention, however, that the texture of this particular brownie deviates ever so slightly from the beloved norm.
Nevertheless, considering the sheer convenience of concocting a single serving within a mere mug and under the time threshold of 5 minutes, I find no room for complaints. Rest assured, this delectable recipe undeniably satiates even the most fervent brownie hankerings.
For an extra-rich, extra-decadent, extra-delicious brownie in a cup, try making this recipe with Hershey’s special dark chocolate cocoa powder. If you are a chocoholic, you won’t be disappointed!
Tips For Success
- When baking, remember every microwave is different. If the brownie hasn’t set after the initial 90 seconds, microwave in 10-second intervals until cooked through.
- You can use a 12 to 16-ounce mug for this recipe.
- Don’t overmix the ingredients which will cause the brownie to be tough.
Did you try this recipe? I would love for you to leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I have a better understanding of which recipes you like and can create more of them.
You can also shop my favorite baking tools. Thank you so much for your support!