This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Banana Bran Muffins sweetened with mashed bananas and a significantly reduced amount of sugar, chock-full of moisture from low-fat milk and yogurt, and packed with bran cereal and wheat germ!
A combination of yogurt, banana, and milk leaves these banana bran muffins wonderfully tender. Bran cereal and wheat germ added to the batter offer extra nutrition which will keep you feeling satisfied longer.
These muffins will be your new favorite way to eat a healthy breakfast!
Why this recipe works
- You will need one very ripe banana. The more brown speckles, the better. The sugar from the banana will sweeten the muffins and be oh so full of intense banana flavor.
- There is just a touch of sugar in these banana bran muffins but feel free to replace that with honey if you desire. Either way, the muffins will be delicious.
- The yogurt adds a small boost of protein and allows the muffins to remain moist without the added fat from butter or oil. I used vanilla yogurt for these. You may even want to try plain or banana flavored yogurt.
Banana bran muffins recipe
These muffins are ones you can feel good about eating. They’re sweetened with mashed bananas and a significantly reduced amount of sugar, chock-full of moisture from low-fat milk and plenty of yogurt.
Plus, they are loaded with bran cereal and wheat germ!
All of the ingredients are fairly normal and I’m sure you already have most of them in your pantry.
I usually make basic muffins that are on the lighter side as it is. Looking through my archives, I noticed that most of my muffin recipes contain less sugar, butter, and are moistened with yogurt. Today’s muffins follow suit.
Let’s go over all the healthy ingredients needed for these delightful muffins.
- Yogurt – It’s low in fat and chock full of protein.
- Banana – They are full of fiber, potassium, and vitamin C.
- Fat-Free Milk – Fewer calories = zero guilt!
- Bran Cereal – Adds plenty of vitamins, nutrients, and fiber.
- Wheat Germ – More vital nutrients/vitamins, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids.
How to make banana bran muffins
Just like all of my muffin recipes, this one uses the muffin mixing method. That means the dry ingredients are mixed separately from the wet ingredients, then two are combined to create a thick muffin batter.
Step 1: Mix the wet ingredients
Whisk all the wet ingredients in a large bowl. This includes yogurt, mashed banana, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg.
Once thoroughly mixed, add the bran cereal and toss to coat. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes until the cereal is soft.
Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until everything is well combined and the leavening agents are distributed evenly throughout.
Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Use a silicone spatula to mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
The batter will be thick. Take care not to over mix or the muffins will be tough.
Step 3: Bake
Place about ¼ cup of batter into the cups of a muffin pan lined with parchment paper. Bake the muffins at 425ºF for 5 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
The muffins are done when the top center springs back when touched.
Tips for success
- Weigh the flour for precise measuring. Or use the spoon and level method.
- Don’t overmix the batter. A few clumps of flour in the batter is perfectly fine for muffins.
- Honey may be used in place of sugar in this recipe. You may also want to experiment with different types of sugar.
Storing & Freezing
To store: The banana bran muffins will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
The muffins will keep for up to 1 week stored in the refrigerator.
To Freeze: The muffins also freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or microwave a single muffin for 40-60 seconds.
Did you try this recipe? I would love for you to leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I have a better understanding of which recipes you like and can create more of them.
You can also shop my favorite baking tools. Thank you so much for your support!