Lemon Cream Cheese Scones with Strawberries would be a great way to start Mother’s day or to serve for afternoon tea. These scones are filled with fresh strawberries and zesty lemon to make the perfect spring breakfast. Cream cheese is cut into the batter with butter and lends to the delicate texture of the scone.
Lemon Cream Cheese Scones with Strawberries recipe highlights:
- Cream cheese in these scones yield a tender flakey texture. They are the best scones you will ever make!
- Be sure not to overwork the dough when kneading. The warmth of you hands will warm the butter and cream cheese making less effective in producing a soft textured scone. Work quickly and handle the dough as little as possible.
- Fresh strawberries are used in this recipe but you can use frozen berries if you prefer. Do not thaw the berries before adding them to the dough.
I have been focusing heavily on Mother’s Day these past few weeks. I think it’s because I’m so far away from my mom and I miss her terribly. The thought of Mother’s Day approaching breaks my heart since I can’t be with her on that day.
Today we’re celebrating with the best scone recipe to leave my kitchen! I’ve said that before but this recipe trumps all the others! It’s perfect enough to serve to mom on Mother’s Day morning.
Have you seen my cream cheese biscuit recipe? This is what inspired today’s scones. Cream cheese does amazing things to baked goods. It leaves the texture ultra tender and flakey. It also imparts a wonderfully tangy flavor.
It took me a few tries to get the ratio of cream cheese right. But I found that simply using half butter and half cream cheese yielded the texture I was looking for.
Lemon zest and strawberries go into the dough for bright crisp spring flavor. And the finished scones get a generous drizzle of sweet lemon glaze.
These lemon cream cheese scones with fresh strawberries are the best! They are tender and crisp, sweet and tangy, and taste perfect straight from the oven.
More scone recipes you’ll love
Chai Pear Scones – Loads of fresh pear is speckled throughout to ensure you get some in each bite. Chai spices make these scones great for breakfast on a cold day.
Lemon Cream Cheese Scones with Strawberries
- 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries can also use frozen but to not thaw
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 4 ounces cold cream cheese cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
make the scones
Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and heat to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest together. Cut the butter and cream cheese into the flour using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingertips. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Gently fold in the strawberries. Whisk the vanilla and buttermilk together and stir just until the dough comes together. You may not need all the buttermilk. Add a little at a time until the mixture is moist but not too wet. Do not over mix the dough or the scones will be tough.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough four or five times. Pat the dough into a 7 inch round circle. Cut the circle in half, then cut each half into four triangle shaped wedges. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with milk or cream.
Bake for 12 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and drizzle with glaze.
make the glaze
Combine all the ingredients for the glaze in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.