This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
An easy, fresh strawberry cake recipe that is so simple to make and can be ready in about 1 hour. It is a single-layer homemade strawberry cake crafted with yogurt and speckled with fresh strawberries.
This fresh strawberry cake is a great way to highlight ripened summer berries. It is going to be the best thing to happen to your summer dessert table.
You just cannot beat the real strawberry flavor in this homemade cake recipe. Fresh berries are so much better than frozen strawberries. And, this recipe is almost as easy to make as box cake mix.
The homemade strawberry cake yields a moist tender cake that can be served for breakfast. It goes great with a cup of coffee!
But today’s cake is surely a runner up.
Why this recipe works
- Yogurt is used to keep the homemade strawberry cake moist. It becomes so tender and soft with the use of yogurt.
- The creaming method for mixing the batter is used to get a light and fluffy cake texture. Creaming the butter and sugar until it is double in volume makes all the difference in cakes.
- Fresh strawberries that are in peak season are the cake’s best friend. The burst sweet strawberry juice inside the cake tastes phenomenal.
This is going to be the easiest cake you’ve ever made! You need 1 bowl and a handheld mixer or you can use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
What You Need
The ingredients are very basic for today’s homemade strawberry cake recipe. Let’s discuss just a few of the key ingredients:
This is a short overview of the ingredients I used and why I chose them. The full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post!
- Butter: Unsalted butter softened to room temperature is best.
- Sugar: Granulated white sugar is what I used but I didn’t use a whole lot.
- Eggs: These add moisture and structure.
- Yogurt: Plain yogurt is what I chose to use since I’m adding extracts. But, you could use vanilla yogurt and skip the extract. Or try it with other flavors like honey.
- Vanilla: I added this for flavor.
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour. Make sure to measure it properly!
- Leavening: Baking powder and baking soda help the cake rise.
- Salt: A dash of salt balances the sweetness of the cake.
- Strawberries: Use fresh strawberries that are ripe. Frozen and thawed strawberries could work but they may turn the batter pink or make the cake soggy.
- Cake pan: I use a 9-inch round pan for this simple one layer cake.
How to Make Strawberry Cake
1. Gather The Ingredients
Find your ingredients, raise them to room temperature, and preheat the oven.
- It is essential to use room-temperature ingredients. Room temperature ingredients will combine more easily.
- To start, set the butter, eggs, and yogurt out on the counter 1 hour before you plan to make the cake. Measure out all the other ingredients and have them ready to use.
- Then, prepare your stand mixer with the paddle attachment or handheld mixer with beaters.
- Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch round pan and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F about 30 minutes before you begin making the batter. This allows enough time for the oven to come to temperature and stabilize.
Step 2: Mix the Wet Ingredients
Now that the ingredients are room temperature, combine the wet ingredients.
- The butter must be at room temperature in order for it to cream properly with the sugar. This is why it is so important to set it out 1 hour ahead of time.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes.
- It should be pale in color and double the size in volume. This is how you know you have properly creamed the sugar and butter together.
- Make sure your eggs are at room temperature. Then, beat them in, one at a time, and mix well after each addition. The mixture should look smooth and lush.
- Then, add the yogurt and vanilla extract. Beat until combined. At this point, the mixture may look curdled. That’s okay! It will come together in the next steps.
Step 3: Add the Flour, Leavening, and Salt
Add the dry ingredients from the strawberry cake recipe.
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over the bowl with the butter mixture. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the sieve.
- Shake it gently until all the dry ingredients have been sifted through. This process helps aerate the flour which will make the cake lighter.
- Beat at medium-low speed just until there are no visible streaks of flour throughout the batter. You want to slightly undermix here because you’ll be mixing some more once you add the strawberries.
Step 4: Add the Strawberries
You are at the best ingredient. Add strawberries to the fresh strawberry cake batter!
- Add the chopped strawberries to the batter.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold the strawberries in until the batter is evenly speckled.
- Save a few strawberries to place on top of the cake just before baking.
Step 5: Bake the Cake
Place the batter in the cake pan and bake as directed.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Then, press a few strawberry pieces into the top of the batter. It doesn’t have to be neat. Just scatter them about.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes. The top should be lightly golden brown. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
Step 6: Cool and garnish
Let the fresh strawberry cake cool. Then, garnish as desired before serving.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the cake on a serving platter. Dust it with confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar). Slice and serve it with fresh strawberries as a garnish.
- This cake can also be eaten warm! It is great as a warm slice of breakfast cake and goes perfectly with a cup of black coffee.
Storing & Freezing
To store: This cake will stay fresh stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator for no more than a week.
To freeze: This fresh strawberry cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a large zip-top bag.
Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator. Then, bring to room temperature before serving. Or warm single slices in the microwave in 10-second intervals until heated through.
Jen’s Best Tips
- Properly measure the flour. Don’t scoop the flour directly out of the bag with the measuring cup. Since flour compacts, this method will add too much flour to the recipe.
- Make sure the cold ingredients are at room temperature. Mixing cold eggs into cake batter can make the cake dense.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Once you add the flour, mix only as much as needed to get the flour barely incorporated. Don’t aim for a smooth batter!
- Using frozen strawberries may turn the batter pink or make the cake soggy. I recommend using fresh berries with this recipe.
Recipes Similar to Strawberry Cake
If you like this homemade strawberry cake recipe, you might also enjoy these other cakes:
Watch How to Make It
Did you try this recipe? I would love for you to leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I have a better understanding of which recipes you like and can create more of them.
You can also shop my favorite baking tools. Thank you so much for your support!