Learn how to make homemade buffalo chicken pizza in this quick and easy recipe. Enjoy the thick homemade crust loaded up with shredded chicken, spicy hot sauce and mozzarella cheese.
In the 1960s, buffalo chicken wings originated in the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, when Teressa Bellissimo started cooking leftover wings in hot sauce for her son and his friends.
It was the perfect late-night bar snack and spread throughout the United States. I like translating buffalo wings into this simple buffalo chicken pizza recipe.
There is nothing like homemade buffalo chicken pizza! It's so quick and easy to make. It'll become a family favorite.
This recipe utilizes my homemade pizza dough. You could also use store-bought dough to save on time.
Another time-saver is using leftover rotisserie chicken for the shredded chicken on the buffalo pizza. It takes very minimal effect to prepare the chicken for use.
Why this recipe works
- The Texas Pete hot sauce provides the perfect hot and spicy flavor to this pizza.
- The low-moisture mozzarella cheese prevents the crust from getting soggy.
- This recipe utilizes leftover rotisserie chicken to speed up preparation.
This homemade buffalo chicken pizza recipe is so easy to make on a busy night. The limited ingredients are practically fridge and pantry staples.
What you need
The ingredients make the pizza taste just like your favorite buffalo chicken wings. Let’s discuss just a few of the key ingredients:
The full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post!
- Pizza dough: I prefer to make homemade dough. However, store-bought pizza dough can be used instead.
- Chicken: Leftover rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe.
- Hot sauce: I prefer Texas Pete as that is what we used on wings when I worked at a wings restaurant. Use your favorite hot or buffalo sauce.
- Cheese: Choose low-moisture mozzarella cheese. If the cheese has too much moisture, it will turn the pizza soggy or watery.
- Ranch dressing: You may choose whatever brand is your favorite.
This is a list of tools I used to make the recipe.
- Pizza pan: This pizza pan is my favorite. It allows the crust to bake up crisp.
- Pizza cutter: A pizza cutter allows for easy slicing.
How to make buffalo chicken pizza
1. Prepare pizza dough and gather ingredients
Make the pizza dough at home. Then, gather all the toppings.
- Follow this recipe to make homemade pizza dough.
- Then, gather the olive oil, chopped chicken, Texas Pete hot sauce and shredded mozzarella. Ranch dressing and chopped green onion are optional.
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
2. Assemble the pizza & bake
Put the toppings on and bake to complete the pizza.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to pizza pan or pizza stone.
- Cover the pizza crust and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Brush the top of the crust with olive oil. Spread ½ cup cheese evenly over the crust. Leave a 1-inch border on the edge.
- Then, drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of the hot sauce over the cheese.
- Next, toss the shredded chicken in the remaining hot sauce. Spread it evenly over the crust.
- Finally, spread the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Rotate the pizza pan or stone halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. If preferred, drizzle with ranch and green onions prior to serving.
Jen's best tips
- If you are running short on time, feel free to use store-bought dough instead of making the dough at home.
- You can also use packaged shredded cheese to save time on preparation time.
- If you want to mellow the hot sauce, dilute it with melted butter to make a medium or mild buffalo sauce.
Storing & Freezing
To store: Wrap baked, cooled pizza in plastic wrap. You can store it in the fridge for no more than 3 days. If preferred, reheat before serving.
To freeze: Baked, cooled pizza slices should be tightly wrapped in plastic. You can store in the freezer for no more than 3 months.
More pizza ideas
If you liked this buffalo chicken pizza recipe, try some of my other favorites for your next pizza night: