Don’t just drink your pina colada! Enjoy it in the form of a cupcake. These moist pineapple cupcakes with coconut frosting will make you feel like you are on a tropical island.
These cupcakes may seem familiar. Not long ago I shared an amazing recipe for pineapple cupcakes with coconut frosting. They have been a huge hit! It has been said more than once that the combination is similar to a pina colada.
So today’s cupcakes are just that, pina colada cupcakes. I made a few tweaks to each recipe and the result is phenomenal. A summery, beachy beverage in the form of a cupcake.
The recipe for the cupcake is the same as my pineapple cupcake recipe, with the addition of rum extract. The extract amps up the pineapple flavor in this sweet cupcake. Making it more like the favorited tropical drink.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
The frosting I use to top the pina colada cupcakes is similar to the coconut frosting I mentioned above. While I do love the light coconut flavor in that frosting, I wanted the frosting for today’s cupcakes to be potent with coconut flavor. To achieve this, I altered the butter to sugar ratio just a tad. I also used less coconut milk and added a touch of coconut extract.
If you can’t find coconut extract or you prefer a lighter coconut flavor, you can follow the recipe for my whipped coconut frosting instead. It has a lighter, more natural coconut flavor and a silkier texture.
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add the sugars, continue to beat for 3 minutes. With the mixer set to low, beat in the vanilla and rum extracts. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Gradually add the flour, mixing just until combined. Beat in the crushed pineapple and it’s juice.
- Fill the cups of the prepared muffin pan 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar. Slowly beat in the coconut milk, followed by the extract. Continue mixing until the frosting becomes thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Top the cupcakes with the frosting. Sprinkle the tops with the toasted coconut. Decorated with pineapple slices and cherries if desired.
Nutritional values here on my recipes should be used as a general guide only. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the values shown are just an estimate.