An in-depth tutorial on how to toast coconut flakes three different ways — In the microwave, on the stovetop, and in the oven. You decide which way is best for you!
How to toast coconut flakes
I love the nutty aroma of toasted coconut and favor the crispness that’s added to the flakes. You should know by now, I’m all about texture when it comes to any type of food.
There are actually several different ways to go about toasting coconut and each method will yield you entirely different results. My absolute favorite is to use the oven but I’ll let you decide which one is best for you.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
How do you toast coconut?
On the stovetop
Put 2 cups of coconut in a medium-sized pan and heat it over medium-low heat for 3-6 minutes. Be sure to stir continuously as it’s heating to promote even browning.
This is my least preferred way to toast coconut. The coconut didn’t brown evenly despite my constant stirring. Some of the coconut flakes were almost burnt while others were barely toasted.
The printable recipe card with full ingredient amounts and instructions can be found at the bottom of this post.
In the microwave
Put 2 cups of coconut in a medium-sized glass dish that’s microwave safe. I used a 6-cup pyrex storage container. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stopping to stir after every minute.
This was the fastest way to toast coconut and yielded more even browning than the stovetop method. However, the coconut didn’t crispen. It remained soft and slightly chewy.
In the oven
Spread 2-cups of coconut in an even layer over a large baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes. Stop to stir every two minutes.
This is my favorite way to toast coconut! It only takes a few minutes longer but look at how even that browning is. Every single piece of coconut is toasty and crisp.
Tips for toasting coconut flakes
- Unsweetened coconut flakes take less time to toast and sweetened flaked coconut takes more time to toast. Watch the coconut closely as it’s toasting and remove from the heat source as soon as it turns light golden brown.
- Be sure to stir the coconut often as it’s toasting to promote even browning.
How to Toast Coconut (3 Ways)
- 2 cups (170 g) unsweetened coconut flakes, *
- Place the coconut in a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 3-6 minutes, stirring continuously until most of the coconut is golden brown. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Spread the coconut in the bottom of a large microwave-safe glass container. Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stopping to stir after every minute until the coconut begins to brown. Remove from dish and cool completely.
- Spread the coconut in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until the coconut begins to brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a dish to cool completely.