The ultimate combination of holiday flavors! Super-moist gingerbread cupcakes topped with orange mascarpone frosting.
These cupcakes are what a holiday cupcake should be. They are soft, light, and taste exactly like a gingerbread man cookie! How can you say no to that?
If you are a baker who loves to turn your favorite flavors into something amazing, then you are going to appreciate these spicy, molasses filled gingerbread cupcakes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
Even without the frosting, these cupcakes are packed with flavor. To complement their sweet gingery flavor is orange infused frosting. While most people celebrate the holidays with candy cane filled recipes, I celebrate with orange. I simply can’t get enough of this bright, juicy fruit.
I used mascarpone cheese as the base for the frosting. It’s light and velvety texture make it perfect for frosting. And it’s a better option than butter packed frostings.
Gingerbread and orange is the ultimate combination when it comes to holiday dessert. These cupcakes are some of the best I’ve ever made.
Make them for your office party, family Christmas dinner, for friends and neighbors. I’m positive you will get rave compliments!
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Orange Mascarpone Frosting
For the frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir with a whisk.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the molasses and egg. Add half of the flour mixture to the molasses mixture, stir until combined. Stir in the milk followed by the remaining flour mixture.
- Fill the muffin cups with 1/4 cup batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer the cupcake to a wire wrack to cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- Whip the cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, sugar, orange extract, and orange zest until smooth and fluffy. Spread the frosting over each cupcake.
Nutritional values here on my recipes should be used as a general guide only. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the values shown are just an estimate.