This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Apple Bread is a quick bread made with fresh apples. It’s amazingly soft and tender with hints of cozy cinnamon and simply delightful.
This easy apple bread recipe has become one of my favorite fall bread recipes. It’s full of warm, cozy cinnamon and is pure comfort. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Autumn, which is just around the corner.
Not only is this bread flavorful, but it’s also incredibly easy to make from scratch. The technique follows the muffin method for mixing and it comes together in just a few short minutes. Peeling and chopping the apples takes more time than making the batter.
You can use any apple variety you wish. If using a sweeter apple, you may want to reduce the sugar.
The batter is topped with a cinnamon-sugar mixture just before baking. It caramelizes slightly as it cooks, leaving a desirable crunch to the crust.
The texture of apple bread is soft and moist. I found that chopping the apples into smaller bits added extra moisture throughout the bread. And it ensures there’s a bit of apple in every bite.
Why this recipe works
- The muffin method for mixing yields a soft, tender crumb.
- The flavor is balanced and can accommodate any type of apple.
- Buttermilk is used for added moisture as well.
Apple Bread Recipe
Quick bread is one of the best inventions ever! If done right, you’ll have a product that tastes like it came from a bakery. My banana bread, zucchini bread, and pumpkin bread are a few favorites and now I’m adding apple bread to that list.
The tender crumb plus apples and cinnamon fills the air as the bread bakes. The sweet fall aroma is as good as the flavor. I think you’ll be just as hooked as I am after one bite.
- Sugar: You need granulated sugar for both the batter and the topping.
- Butter: Unsalted butter provides unbeatable flavor and moisture.
- Buttermilk: Full-fat buttermilk is the best to use. I don’t recommend substituting.
- Eggs: Two eggs are needed to bind everything together.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla is the best. Or you can make vanilla at home to use.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is the base of the bread. I don’t recommend substituting with another type.
- Baking powder & baking soda: Give the bread rise.
- Cinnamon & salt: For flavor.
- Apples: The star of the show!
The best apples to use for apple bread: It’s a good idea to choose a variety that is firm and holds up well when baked. I used Fuji, but Honey Crisp and Granny Smith apples work well.
How to make apple bread
This recipe is so unbelievably easy, you’ll have bread for breakfast/dessert in no time.
The Batter – The batter comes together by mixing the wet and dry ingredients separately then folding them together.
The Topping – The topping is a simple mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
I like to use a nonstick 9×5 loaf pan. (affiliate link) There’s a lot of batter and anything small will cause overflow. I use homemade cake release to grease the pan, then I make a sling inside with parchment paper.
Make sure to preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes prior to making the recipe.
The cinnamon apple bread takes 50-60 minutes to bake, but start checking at around 45 since every oven is different.
- Apple bread freezes beautifully for up to 3 months! Allow it to cool completely then wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in a resealable freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Try shredding the apples instead of chopping them! Shredded apples will yield a smoother textured bread.
- If the crust is becoming too brown before the bread has finished baking, tent the pan loosely with foil.
Did you try this recipe? I would love for you to leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I have a better understanding of which recipes you like and can create more of them.
You can also shop my favorite baking tools. Thank you so much for your support!