Chocolate Orange Brownies are ordinary brownies turned into something extraordinary. The brownies are speckled with orange zest and topped with a luscious chocolate ganache. Top each one with a candied orange slice and indulge in this delightful treat!
Are you a fan of chocolate and orange together? It’s a combination that some either love or hate. It took me a while to get on board with it but now I’m hooked.
My very first experience with this combo was with a chocolate orange torte I made several years ago. It was delicious! I think the orange marmalade help because it’s deliciously sweet.
I enjoyed it so much that I tried the combo again in an orange ricotta tart with chocolate ganache. It came out excellent and so creamy. The chocolate orange combo has now grown on me and I’m one of the rare few who absolutely loves it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
We buy oranges often. We especially love the mandarin oranges that go by the name Cuties. We keep a bag in the refrigerator at all times.
Those little oranges are perfect for today’s recipes but honestly, you can use any variety you prefer. You simply need to zest the skin and eat the flesh. Two delicious birds with one stone!
I topped the baked brownies with a rich chocolate ganache made with three simple ingredients – unsweetened chocolate, light corn syrup, and heavy cream. I used the same ganache for the ricotta tart I mentioned above.
For some added sweetness, I placed candied orange slices on top of each brownie. It really tied everything together! I love the extra bit of chewiness from the candied orange.
I recommend refrigerating the brownies after you add the ganache so they are easier to slice. Otherwise, they ganache will stick to the knife and make a huge mess. They will slice cleaner when they’re cold.
What are some of your favorite desserts that combine chocolate and orange? I’d really love to hear about them.
The fudgy texture of the brownie blends perfectly with the silky chocolate ganache and chewy candied oranges. They are easy to whip up and even easier to devour!
Chocolate Orange Brownies
For the Brownies
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Make the brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8-inch pan with aluminum foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on all sides. Spray the foil lightly with nonstick spray.
- Add the chocolate and butter to a medium heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir occasionally until fully melted and smooth. Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined. Whisk in the melted chocolate until well combined. Fold in the flour with a rubber spatula just until combined. Fold in the orange zest. Spread the batter evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top of the brownies look dry and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack.
- Make the topping
- Place the cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until cream begins to simmer. Remove from heat. Add the chocolate, stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Let the ganache cool. Pour it over the brownies, use a silicone spatula to spread the ganache evenly over the top. Top with candied orange slices if desired. Refrigerate for 1 hour before slicing.