This Best-Tasting Sugar Cookie Icing is the only icing you will ever need! It contains just four ingredients, dries hard, and is easy to color.
Best-Tasting Sugar Cookie Icing Recipe
I’m getting excited thinking and planning for Christmas baking.
One of my favorite things to make during the holidays is cookies. They are practically the best for shipping to friends and family scattered across the US.
Sugar cookies are often a safe bet when sending cookies. Almost everyone enjoys a soft, sturdy cookie flavored with sweet vanilla. Especially when they are decorated with the tastiest icing ever!
This best-tasting sugar cookie icing comes from my friends Donna and Chad’s new cookbook, The Simple Kitchen. They are the faces behind The Slow Roasted Italian and this is their first cookbook. It’s definitely one they should feel proud of.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
The book’s focus is on flavorful recipes that can be made quick and easy. You can tell they really put their heart and soul into developing the recipes in the book.
I immediately went straight to the desserts and when I saw this sugar cookie icing, I knew I had to try it. I’m typically not a fan of cookie icing because it tastes like nothing but powdered sugar.
But, Donna’s secret ingredient promised to give the icing that “wow” factor. And indeed it did. It’s so tasty and beyond easy to make.
Sugar cookie icing that dries hard
The ratio of milk to sugar keeps the icing thick so it dries hard. This is exactly what you want when shipping cookies off as a holiday gift.
Corn syrup is added to make the icing smooth and shiny. Then the secret ingredient, almond extract, is added for flavor.
The icing is so easy to work with. Color it any way you like and pour it into decorator squeeze bottles. Then you just squeeze the icing onto the cookies. It’s way too simple!
Their book is filled with so many amazing dessert recipes like Donna’s Famous Sugar Cookies, No Bake Black Bottom Peanut Butter Pie, Legendary Pecan Pie Bars, and so much more.
Also, there are plenty of savory options to choose from. Get your copy of The Simple Kitchen today!
More recipes you’ll love
Best-Tasting Sugar Cookie Icing
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix with an electric mixer until it’s completely smooth. Add more of the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk if you need to, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add the corn syrup and almond extract. Stir until combined. Divide the icing among the number of bowls needed for decorating, or use as is.
- Add food coloring, one drop at a time, until the desired color is reached. pour the icing into squeeze bottles, decorator bags, or cups.
- Keep the unused icing sealed until ready to use. If you are leaving it in the bowl, be sure to cover it with plastic wrap or the sugar will harden on the top.
- Decorate your cookies and allow them to dry overnight or enjoy immediately.