This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Easy, fast blondies are the perfect kid-friendly treat. Enjoy the soft, chewy texture and delightful honey flavor.
Blondies are super easy to make, but they are packed with moisture and flavor. It’s so easy to see why they are a time-honored classic.
While blondies’ younger sibling, brownies, is more famous, blondies existed in recipe books 10 years before chocolate was even widely in use around 1906.
What is a blondie? Instead of chocolate, these bars rely on the blend of vanilla, honey, and brown sugar.
They create a buttery honey flavor. While blondies are not overly sweet, they do have a wonderful soft, chewy texture.
They are also great without the mix-ins. Blonde brownies work well in a sundae with ice cream and caramel sauce.
Why this recipe works
- The ratio of butter, sugar and egg leaves you with a soft, yet chewy texture.
- Surprisingly, these bars aren’t overly sweet. And, the hint of honey makes them perfect without any mix-ins.
- Baking powder allows the bars to bake up tall and thick.
Ready to enjoy in just 45 minutes, these blondies are so easy to make and even easier to eat.
Ingredients and substitutions
Whip together this super easy blondies recipe with common pantry ingredients in no time at all. Let’s discuss just a few of the key ingredients:
This is a short overview of the ingredients I used and why I chose them. The full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post!
- Flour, baking powder, & salt: All-purpose flour works best. Baking powder acts as the leavening agent, while salt balances the sweetness.
- Butter & eggs: These add the soft, chewy texture to the blondies. When you use salted butter, omit additional salt.
- Brown sugar, honey, & vanilla: This trio creates the well-known butterscotch flavor of the blondie. Dark or light brown sugar works. You can also omit honey.
- Mix-ins: While Macadamia nuts are traditional, you can substitute with toasted walnuts or pecans. Also, any type of chocolate chips will work – white, dark, etc.
How to make blondies
1. Mix the dough
Begin by preparing the oven and your baking dish. Then, you will combine ingredients to form the dough.
- Adjust your oven rack as described in the recipe and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Then, prepare your pan with a liner (aluminum foil or parchment paper) and cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Then, use a whisk to blend.
- Grab your mixer. While on medium speed, beat the unsalted butter until very creamy in a large bowl.
- Then, beat in sugar and honey until mixed. Also, beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix after adding each egg.
- Scrape down the bowl. Then, beat in the vanilla.
- While at low speed, add in the flour mixture until just mixed.
Place blondies batter into the pan and bake until doneness is reached via the toothpick test.
- Evenly spread the batter into your prepared pan.
- Then, place in the oven. The baking time is 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Cool in the pan until the blondies reach room temperature. Then, refrigerate until firm.
- Finally, gently lift them out of the pan with the liner.
- Cut into 2-inch golden brown squares or your desired size or shape.
Jen’s Best tips
- Don’t overmix the dough. Once the dry ingredients are added, mix just until no streaks of dry flour are visible.
- Bake on the lower-third rack. This is just below the center of the oven.
- Take care not to overbake or they’ll turn hard.
Storing & Freezing
To store: Store your blondies for no more than 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.
To Freeze: Place any leftover blondies in an airtight container or zip-top freezer bag. Then, store them for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to use them, thaw overnight in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.
Watch how to make it
Did you try this recipe? I would love for you to leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I have a better understanding of which recipes you like and can create more of them.
You can also shop my favorite baking tools. Thank you so much for your support!