Amazing sausage bombs loaded with ricotta and parmesan cheese topped with more parmesan, basil, and parsley.
These ricotta sausage bombs are delightful. These stuffed rolls are made with my homemade pizza dough and filled to the max with sausage, spinach, and a mixture of ricotta and parmesan cheese.
This recipe makes enough for 24 rolls, but it can easily be halved. Hope over to my homemade pizza dough recipe for instructions on dividing and freezing the dough. Alternatively, you can use store-bought pizza dough.
The filling is a flavor explosion with Italian sausage, spinach, ricotta cheese, and parmesan cheese. Your taste buds will not be disappointed!
Ricotta Sausage Bombs
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough or 2 refrigerated pizza dough
- all-purpose flour for rolling out dough
- 1 (1 pound) package pork sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup tightly packed baby spinach
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese plus 1/4 cup
- 1 large egg beaten
- Prepare the pizza dough. Divide each dough ball into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, cover, and set in a draft-free place while you prep the filling.
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon basil, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, and thyme. Cook until crumbled and golden, about 6 minutes. Drain the sausage through a sieve and return it to the pan. Turn the heat to low, add the spinach, ricotta cheese, and 1/3 cup parmesan. Stir together and cook until the spinach is wilted. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Working with one dough ball at a time, roll the dough out into a flat circle. Fill the center with 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling. Fold the edges over to form a ball and pinch the seam to seal. Place the sausage bombs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. (you will need 2 pans) Brush the tops of each sausage bomb with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan, basil, and oregano. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe uses homemade pizza dough that requires 2 hours of prep. The dough can be made in advance and frozen for later use. See instructions for freezing and thawing dough here.
If you find yourself short on time you can use store bought pizza dough instead. You will need 2 (13.5) packages to make the full recipe.
This recipe can be halved. Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis