Oven Baked Salmon Cakes are perfect for your summer party! Made with fresh salmon, bell peppers, onions, and parsley, you won’t feel guilty about eating more that one of these baked patties. This is a recipe you will turn to time and time again. It’s so good!!
Happy Tuesday friends!
We decided to take a break from life and hit the road this past Sunday. After a long drive, we finally arrived in Panama City beach where we are busy soaking up the sun and jogging the beaches with our two pups. I don’t want to go back home!
There is something about clear skies, sunshine, and salty air that brings me to life. I always say I think I was born with salt water in my veins. I’m destined to be a beach bum. Can I please live by the ocean forever?!
I decided to remake these salmon cakes that have been on the blog since the beginning of time. But this time, I wanted to bake them instead of fry them. And boy, they were amazing!!
Oven Baked Salmon Cakes: Important Steps
Over cooking salmon can dry it out which is not pleasant to eat. You want the salmon to be moist and tender. The best way to achieve this is to poach it in lemon water before shredding it. I used skinless salmon but you can use filets with the skin on them. The skin will easily peel away after poaching.
Don’t attempt to shred the salmon until after it has cooled. Just like with any meat, you want to let it rest so all the moisture remains inside. The cakes are going to be baked which can dry them out, so it’s super important to ensure the salmon is ultra moist before going into the oven.
After shaping the patties, spray them lightly with cooking spray to help the crispen and brown in the oven. There are several healthy alternative cooking sprays available. My favorite is the coconut oil spray from PAM®.
The best part about this recipe is the tangy honey mustard vinaigrette sauce. It pairs perfectly with the salmon. I drowned my salmon in it!! Harry, my husband, enjoys eating his with sriracha. So, if you like hot sauce, that’s a great idea as well.
Serve the oven baked salmon cakes with asparagus, spinach, or any other green vegetable. Enjoy!
Oven Baked Salmon Cakes
For the salmon cakes
For the vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin light olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water and lemon juice to a boil. Add salmon, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes or until salmon is opaque and flaky. Remove salmon and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix breadcrumbs, flour, bell pepper, onion, parsley, salt, and cayenne.
- Break apart the salmon and add to breadcrumb mixture. Add the egg and mix to combine.
- Roll a handful of the mixture into a ball and flatten to form a disc.
- pray each patty lightly with cooking spray. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping each patty over halfway through the cooking time. Serve with asparagus or greens and drizzle with honey mustard vinaigrette.
Make the vinaigrette
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Store in a sealed jar and shake before serving.
Nutritional values here on my recipes should be used as a general guide only. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the values shown are just an estimate.