These delicious chocolate avocado brownies are perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy less unhealthy fats. You certainly don’t have to be on a special diet to enjoy these moist and healthier brownies. Made with coconut oil and avocado, this lightened up brownie recipe is easy to make and tastes just as good as a rich indulgent brownie. These homemade brownies only take about 30 minutes to make, so they’re perfect for a lazy after dinner dessert.
This chocolate avocado brownie recipe features:
- These brownies are a healthier brownie made with coconut oil and avocado instead of loads of butter.
- There is an egg in this recipe even though it contains avocado. (I’ve not tested avocado as an egg replacement.)
- Choose an extra ripe avocado for best results. If the avocado isn’t soft enough, it will be difficult to smash it.
- The chocolate avocado brownies are made with cocoa powder instead of pressed baking chocolate. This results in brownies that are more of a cake-like texture.
- For a little extra flavor, I like to stir in some caramel bits. However, this is completely optional.
This recipe is fairly simple. You need a super ripe avocado. The riper, the better. If it’s too firm, it will be difficult to smash it up. Mix the smashed avocado with coconut oil and sugar. I used a combination of light brown sugar and white sugar like I do for most of my recipes. The brown sugar will also keep the brownies from drying out.
Mix the egg in until it is very well incorporated. You shouldn’t see any residual egg liquid hanging about in the batter. This is important for the texture of the brownie
The brownies only need to bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. Watch them closely at the 15-minute mark. Do not over bake them or they will be extremely dry. Test them with a wooden toothpick. If any wet clumps of batter stick to the toothpick, keep baking. You want to see only a few small crumbs on the toothpick.
Chocolate Avocado Brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup ripe avocado smashed
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel bits optional
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside
Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl beat together the oil, avocado, and sugars until well blended. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Fold the flour mixture into the avocado mixture just until moistened. Gently fold in the caramel bits if using.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few dry crumbs. Allow the brownies to cool completely before removing them from the pan. Cut into 16 squares.