There’s nothing better than waking up on a cool fall morning and having a slice of warm coffee cake. This Apple Cider Coffee Cake is made with yeast dough that is flavored with apple cider and stuffed with apple butter. It has loads of apple flavor, which is ideal for fall. There’s even an apple cider cinnamon glaze over the top! Who wouldn’t enjoy such a wonderful coffee cake recipe for breakfast or brunch?
Apple Cider Coffee Cake Recipe Highlights:
- Today’s apple cider coffee cake is much like a stuffed pull-apart bread. It is made with yeast dough and each section is generously filled with apple butter.
- Apple cider goes into the dough for a lightly sweetened apple flavor.
- Don’t be intimidated by yeast dough! You can do this! The result is a coffee cake so soft and fluffy, it’s unlike any other.
- The simple glaze over the top is made with powdered sugar, cinnamon, and apple cider. It adds a nice finishing touch to the coffee cake. Pour it over the entire cake or over each individual serving.
I simply love working with yeast dough. It used to scare me, but not anymore. I get such enjoyment out of watching it come together and seeing it rise. I knew for sure I needed to make another apple cider yeast bread. It’s been a while. Since last year, I believe.
This coffee cake takes a little bit of time to bring together. It requires two rises. It’s smooth and light. Not too dense. You should only need just a tiny bit of bench flour when rolling it out. And the way it bakes up, super light and airy. Full of apple flavor.
It is best to roll the dough out as thin as you can. The recipe states to roll it into an 18×12-inch rectangle, if you can get more than that, go for it. You will have extra pockets for filling with the delightful apple butter.
The filling is straight apple butter from a jar. If you have a recipe for making your own, you can certainly use it.
Let the filled dough rise a second time and then it’s ready to bake. It should take about 25 minutes for the coffee cake to puff up and turn golden brown. A generous drizzle of cinnamon apple cider glaze takes the cake completely to the next level!
Apple Cider Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup warm apple cider, 105 to 115F
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, (1 packet)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 and 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- In a large bowl stir together the apple cider and yeast. Let it stand for about 5 minutes, until foamy. Lightly beat the eggs. Add the eggs, milk, sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, vanilla, and salt to the yeast mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add 2 and 1/2 cups of the flour, beating with an electric mixer on low speed for 5 minutes. The dough will soft and slightly tacky. Stir in as much of the remaining dough as you can in order to make a moderately soft dough. The dough should still be slightly tacky. Cover it and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Line a 9x13-inch pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease the foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out into an 18x12-inch rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut the rectangle into eighteen 4x3-inch squares. Spoon about a teaspoon of apple butter into the center of each square and fold them in half diagonally to make a triangle. Press the edges to seal.
- Arrange the apple butter pockets in the prepared pan in 2 lengthwise rows of nine. Make sure the sealed corners of the triangles are pointing up. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Drizzle the top with the remaining melted butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Bake the coffee cake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Drizzle the top with glaze.
- Make the Glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and apple cider in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.