Moist graham cracker cupcakes filled with marshmallow fluff, topped with rich chocolate buttercream frosting, graham cracker crumbs and bits of marshmallow. The best s’mores cupcake yet!
So apparently last Sunday was National S’mores Day. Yeah, I’m usually behind on things of this nature. Better late than never, right?
This s’mores cupcake is one of the best you will ever eat. This graham cracker cupcake is soft and crumbly. It’s filled with creamy marshmallow fluff. Topped with smooth chocolate frosting, graham cracker crumbs, and tiny bits of marshmallow. These cupcakes are going to rock your world!
I love recipes that bring a sense of nostalgia. My family spent a whole week each summer camping at Hanging Rock State Park. We would sit around the fire pit roasting marshmallows and devouring melty s’mores. These cupcakes take me right back to that place and time.
For this cupcake, I wanted something a bit lighter but full of the s’mores flavors. The most important part is the cupcake. It needed to taste exactly like a graham cracker and be moist and crumbly.
I took my vanilla cupcake recipe from the Root Beer Float Cupcakes I shared with you last week and changed it up a little. I replaced most of the flour with graham cracker crumbs. This gave the cupcakes more of a flaky crumb, just like a graham cracker.
The cupcakes are filled with a gooey marshmallow filling straight from a jar of marshmallow fluff. Yeah, I cheated a bit. Don’t hold it against me. The easiest way to fill a cupcake is to cut a hole in the top, making sure not to go too far down. Then, plop your filling inside the hole and cover the hole with frosting.
This chocolate buttercream frosting is going to be your new favorite. It is smooth, creamy, and rich. Pipe it on top of the cupcakes and dust lightly with graham cracker crumbs. Dot the frosting with mini marshmallow cut in half.
You will love these light cupcakes. They are simple to put together and taste like you spent all day making them.
Go ahead, see for yourself!
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup cake flour
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 (1 oz) square unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 (1 oz) square semisweet baking chocolate
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pulse honey graham crackers in a food processor or blender until crushed into a fine crumb, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together melted butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, whisk after each addition.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add graham cracker mixture to butter mixture alternating with milk. Begin and end with flour mixture. Mix until well blended. Fold in vanilla extract.
- Spoon batter into a paper lined muffin pan, filling each up with ¼ cup of batter. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove cupcakes immediately from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut a small hole in the top center of each cupcake. Spoon 1-2 Tbs of marshmallow fluff into the cut out.
- Make the frosting: Set a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Add chocolate pieces to the bowl, stir often until chocolate melts.
- Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add cocoa powder, chocolate, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. If desired, top the cupcakes with frosting. Sprinkle lightly with graham cracker crumbs and tiny bits of marshmallow.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for reading and for supporting the companies I partner with, which allows me to continue creating unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.